Websites to use at home:
- http://www.magickeys.com/books/ - a website with many illustrated stories for children of all ages to read online.
- www.getepic.com – you will need a code from your teacher to access books. This website also has Accelerated Reader books, so any books that you do read, remember you can complete their quizzes when you’re in school.
- https://thereadingrealm.co.uk/category/resources/ - this website provides short extracts and activities to go with them! From grammar to illustrating, there’s lots for children to do alongside the texts they read.
- https://readtheory.org/? – this website is like the Accelerated Reader system we have at school. You’ll be able to practice applying your comprehension skills to extracts by completing short quizzes on what you have read. This is a good way to keep your mind active!
- https://fizzyfunnyfuzzy.com/ - if you want to have a read of some poetry, try this website.
- https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround - keep up-to-date with the news and find out what is going on around the world. A great way of listening to and reading some non-fiction too.
- https://web2.uvcs.uvic.ca/courses/elc/studyzone/330/reading/ - have a go at some comprehension exercises! Maybe even practise Whole Family Reading- make your home your classroom.
- https://www.funbrain.com/books - have some fun and read comics. A bit of light-hearted reading will also allow you to read texts structured differently.
- http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/websites/4_11/site/literacy.shtml - there is a plethora of activities for you to explore here. Have a scroll through and apply your literacy skills.
Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar (SPAG)
Please have a look at the documents attached in this section in regards to SPAG. It is important children know their year groups spellings: how to spell the words on their spelling list as well as understanding what the words mean. Children should also be familiar with the correct grammatical terminology- in using them and with their definitions.
- www.spag.com – this website will require an individual login which children will already have if their teacher has issued them with one. On this website, children will be able to complete various tests on different grammar concepts, as well as general quizzes.
- https://spellingframe.co.uk/ - this is a fantastic website for children to practise their spelling rules. It allows a chance for words to be repeated and specific rules to be targeted.
- https://www.theschoolrun.com/english/grammar - this website provides simple explanations for grammar rules, along with activities for children to have a go at.