Celebrating Black History Month.
Two renowed mathematicians in history - were Benjamin Banneker and Majorie Lee Brown.
Areas of Expertise: Mathematics and Astronomy
Best known for: • his successful prediction of a solar eclipse;
• publishing his own almanac;
• being part of a team that surveyed and planned the capital of the United States;
• building the first ever fully wooden clock.
Marjorie Lee Browne
Areas of Expertise: Mathematics Educator
Best known for: • being one of the first Black American women to receive a PhD in mathematics;
• serving as a member on various educational boards, such as The American Mathematical Society and the Women’s Research Society;
• her paper on the significance of topological properties and the relation between certain classical groups.